Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Great Beer, Okay Food


Charlie Hooper's Bar & Grill

If you read this blog on an even semi-regular basis, surely you are aware that I love Brookside. Probably my favorite area in the entire KC metro, it offers a little something for everyone.

And as a sports fan, to me, Charlie Hooper's is the very best place in Kansas City to watch a sporting event, particularly KU basketball. If I'm out in public watching a KU game, there's at least a 60% chance I'll be at Hooper's. Why, you may ask? Aside from an awesome atmosphere, great patrons and a lot of flat-screen televisions, they simply have the best beer selection around. With somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 beers on tap, they also have more than 100 in bottles. Reasonably priced, if you enjoy beer, this is a great place to be...

As for the food, well, it's a bar. That's not to say it's not acceptable, but let's be honest, if you wanted a gourmet meal, you wouldn't be sitting on a bar stool. Though I've eaten here numerous times, Hooper's is one of the few places in town where I have a regular item. I nearly always go with the Buffalo chicken wrap, no onions, and fries instead of a salad. In a tortilla with lettuce and blue cheese crumbles, the fried chicken pieces in buffalo sauce are pretty good. Plus, I like their fries.

As for the rest of the menu, from what I've sampled, it's all decent. Nothing you'll want to write home about, but nothing you'd spit out either. Their reuben is good, as is the burger, and I've heard they make a mean hot dog, though I've never had one (even though they're on special most Saturdays).

All in all, I really like Hooper's, but primarily because of the beer and atmosphere. If you're hungry there's nothing wrong with getting a bite here, and you'll probably like it as long as you're not expecting the Bristol. Plus prices are cheap, the servers are by-and-large good, and as I said, it's one of the best places in town to watch a game.

    Scorecard
    Food: 3
    Atmosphere: 4.7
    Service: 3.7
    Menu: 3
    Price: 4.5
    Total: 18.9
    Average: 3.78


Charlie Hooper's Brookside Bar on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

MoxieMamaKC said...

You should go back for the Saturday Hot Dog Specials. I haven't been in awhile, but they used to be pretty awesome (and pretty cheap if I remember). But I agree, great atmosphere, but I'm not really thrilled about their food otherwise...

The DLC said...

I used to go there on Mondays for the $3 burger & fries special. Not sure if they still have it but it was one of the best deals in town.